St Mary the Virgin, the parish church of Lapworth, traces a history back to Norman times when it was founded the lord of the manor on the higher ground in the parish.
The stone building consisting of a nave and chancel was built around the year 1120. The succeeding nine centuries have given Lapworth an outstandingly beautiful and interesting church which “began in the 12th century and continued at intervals for three hundred years so that the general impression now, from the outside, is of a 15th century church…” (A Warwickshire Village Church, by Mildred Tomlinson).
A selection of guide booklets covering many aspects of the church and its contents is available for purchase in the church. In addition three are available for download here:
KEY CONTACT FOR CHURCH BUILDING AND ITS HISTORY
Please contact our church historian, Peter Hill, by email for any questions about the history of the church building: [email protected]
TRACING BURIAL RECORDS
The Parish Registers for St. Mary the Virgin Lapworth commenced in 1561 and copies of the BMD registers up to the 1960s are held by:
Warwickshire County Record Office Priory Park, Cape Rd, Warwick CV34 4JS
Tel: 01926 738959
Our church historian may be able to assist with limited enquiries about more recent data but we are not able to undertake extensive research on your behalf.
Church historian – Peter Hill email: [email protected]